Saturday, September 14, 2013

Storing A Favorite Quilting Tool

I've got many favorite quilting and sewing tools. This one is my current favorite! I like to press seams open and my flat iron does an excellent job pressing seams as I go along. I first talked about it in this post, http://rosecoloredquilts.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-new-favorite-tool.html



Today I wanted to show how I store and use it at my sewing table.


The iron is long and the metal bucket from the $1 bin kept tipping over. So I use a mug inside of the bucket for weight. I think a crock or pitcher would work too. Didn't want to scorch my table.


The flat iron heats up very quickly. Great temperature control too for more delicate fabrics. With this size iron I'm able to press up to 12" block. I've been using it for half square triangles, sewing squares, rectangles, and even more free form pieces. Today I'm using it for another WIP. 




2 comments:

  1. You have NO idea how much I love this!!! I was a hairstylist in a past life (before kids) and lord knows I'm never going to straighten my hair.. So I have all these tools just sitting there collecting dust.. Brilliant!! This leads me to think I could use a curling iron to get up into small little armholes to press the seams too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I use mine almost every time I sew. Love how fast it heats up, but not the whole room.

      Delete