Monday, January 27, 2014

Fan-tastic!

Fan-tastic, it's a word I've heard quite often in our house. And usually pretty dramatically! So here's a fan quilt I started last summer. Hope you find it as fantastic as I do. With all those beautiful fabrics out there to pick from, it sure keeps my creativity in motion. 



I've been hanging on to some Kaffe Fassett Paper Fans in Ochre for years. I wanted to keep it simple design of repeating diamond shaped fans with the fan fabric as a base for each diamond. I remember playing with old paper folding fans as a little girl. So much fun!

The succulents in our garden were looking very pink and a beautiful range of warm and cool green tones. Even a touch of gold. This was the start of my color story. 



I also had some of Anna Maria Horner's Loulouthi Summer Totem in Grapefruit that I had been wanting to use. The colors and the scale were perfect for a wide border!




I wanted to use some Peony fabric from Kaffe Fassett. I used the golden colorway for some of the fans and the deep red in the scrappy back. Sure wish Peony would get reprinted!

I brought this quilt along with us on Thanksgiving vacation. Love how we were surrounded by saw palmetto plants. Fits right in I think! You can also see how I started to quilt the fans. I ended up with only one diamond embellished with a fanfold zig zag at the top. The rest was quilted with a two step, two colored running stitch. I hand tied the whole quilt. A first for me. Just a little nod to the silky tassels that hang from so many antique fans. 



Points don't meet here. But that's not the point. Not always. Not for my anyway.



I wanted to do some widely spaced large quilt stitching across the border. As if somebody was looking out large plantation shutters into the garden. Fanning themselves in the heat of course! Thank goodness we have ceiling fans these days.


Took me what felt like FOREVER to find a voile to use for the binding. There's only hand quilting on this one. That creates a wonderful drape. And a heavy binding would take away from that. I love to use voile in our hot Louisiana climate, especially on a binding. I had a long date with a seam ripper before I finally settled on using some of Anna Maria Horner's Forest Hills voile. Fussy cutting it of course! That first choice of Sinister Swarm in Vivacious was just too dark. Changed the whole look of the quilt.

Finally had a sunny day to take a few more pictures. 










Thank you for stopping by and taking a look. :) 















4 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous quilt and I love all of the hand details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Putting details in quilts is sometimes the best part to me. :)

      Delete
  2. So I've had this quilt in my favorites for some time now, and I recently have been looking for a quilt style for a friend who's expecting her first, a baby girl... She likes the "pride & predudice"/antique feel.... And your "Fans" fit the bill.... And crazy enough, I have been considering using the same boarder print, only in another color palate....
    I'm so thankful to have come across this quilt at this time...... Total inspiration.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for inspiration!! You just made my Monday much better. This quilt is still one of my favorites to snuggle under. I've often thought of making another one in the blue color way. It would be wonderful as a baby quilt. Thank you!

      Delete