Friday, January 31, 2014

A love for Calicos.

It's a flash back Friday. Seeing the cover of an old American Patchwork & Quilting magazine yesterday reminded me of an old wall hanging I did about 18 years ago. I had to just hit the back button because I typed 8 years ago. Yes, the 90's still feels like 10 years ago to me. Ha!


Sorry for the blurry pictures. Red seems to be hard to capture today and my other camera just broke! I happened to save the quilt magazine I used for the pattern, February 1995. How's that for matching the green fabric on the cover?


I sure have learned a lot since then! And I don't like calicos as much as I used to. But with Liberty of London cranking them out, I'm sure we'll see more of them. I just bought my second sweatshirt in the last few months. Yes, the 80's and 90's are back again. :)


So I learned that pre washing fabrics keeps your quilt from being all cattywampus and skinny in the middle like this one. Especially if you use cheap muslin on the back. I don't always prewash, but I am trying to do it with all of the fabric that I buy. Live and learn. Learn and love it anyway. 

I learned what machine stitches look like when you're tension needs adjusting. See those threads showing from the front! 

I learned I really don't like to appliqué, but this pattern used a very easy technique. (The hearts are two layers, right sides together & sewn completely around, slit in the center of the back, and then turned right side out. Clever.) 

I learned I really like a little hand quilting and machine quilting on almost every quilt I make. Happy stitches. xo xo 




No comments:

Post a Comment